3195 IN-5, Shipshewana, IN 46565, USA

my carefree awning has failed twice. I have a 2017 roamer 376FBH which has an awning that goes over the kitchen slide.

On my second camping trip with the new trailer I put my awning out. I adjusted the tilt to allow for water drainage in case it should rain. Well it rained and the rear awning arm snapped where the strut attaches to it. I figured that I tilted the awning the wrong way or did not have enough tilt to it for water drainage. My in laws and wife's aunt and uncle camping beside us and they did not have a failure.

I get the arms replaced out of pocket because the awning is not covered for damaged sleet, snow, rain, wind or sun damage. Fast forward to the first camping trip this year. I put the awning out I put full tilt to it in the opposite direction from the first failure and guess what, we had a lite rain/drizzle and the same awning arm snapped. This time I put in a warranty claim against it. The engineers at open range denied the claim, they said after reviewing the pictures of the damage was due to impact (BULL). I called open range customer service and talked to John and told him what had happened and he explained that it was a lite rain that caused the failure and that was not covered either. By the way my in laws awning did not fail nor did any of the other awnings around me in the park. The issue with my failures has to do with the placement of the awning itself. When you have the kitchen slide out it holds up the center of the awning fabric allowing water to pool on top of the Kitchen slide no matter how much tilt you have on it and once enough water weight is built up on top of the slide the awning arm fails. We looked at other manufactures that have a slide under the main awning and all of them have the awning mounted 6-8 inches higher than where our is, which prevents the slide from touch the awning and water pooling.

This my third camper and I have never had a awning failure of any kind.

Review about: Carefree Of Colorado Sideblocker.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

Thanks for the insight on this flaw in design. I will take this into consideration when buying my new trailer.